Hotel Verde Cape Town
Our flagship hotel and Africa's greenest hotel
About Hotel Verde Cape Town
Hotel Verde Cape Town offers a carbon-neutral stay, along with luxurious accommodation and conferencing and events facilities in an oasis just 400 metres from Cape Town International Airport and a 15-minute drive to the city’s main attractions.
Hotel Verde Cape Town is Africa's greenest hotel and the first hotel in Africa to offer carbon-neutral accommodation and conferencing.
Hotel Verde Cape Town is the only hotel in the world to be LEED Platinum certified for both our design and construction, as well us our operation. LEED stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental design. The hotel also has a 6 star rating from the Green Building Council of South Africa.
Hotel Verde Cape Town is completely energy efficient through the use of 220 Photovoltaic panels, three wind turbines (vertical axis), regenerative drive elevators, energy generating gym equipment and an energy-saving heating and cooling system coupled to ground source heat pumps
A grey-water recycling plant recycles water from showers and baths, as well as condensate from ventilation fans, to be used in the hotel’s toilets – saving up to 6 000 litres of drinking water a day. Rainwater and subsoil water are also collected, stored in a 40 000-litre stainless steel tank and used for drip irrigation and non-potable requirements.
Recycling & composting
Hotel Verde currently has a 97.36% diversion rate with waste, meaning that just over 2% of waste goes to a landfill. The hotel's overall goal is to reach a zero-waste-to-landfill contribution, which essentially redefines how rubbish moves into the ecosystem.
- Save, the Energy Efficiency Forum for Commercial Buildings – 2013
- City Improvement District Award - 2013
- Eco-Logic Awards (by Enviropaedia) – Water Category - 2013
- Internorga, Hamburg – Trendsetter Category - 2014
- Eco-Logic Awards (by Enviropaedia) – Energy Category - 2014
- Lilizela (Imvelo) Award - Best Overall Environmental Management System – 2014
- World Travel Market London – World Responsible Tourism Best City Hotel – 2014
- Trip Advisor – Travellers Choice Award (Top 1% of hotels on Trip Advisor) – 2015
- Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence - 2015
- Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence - 2016
- Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence - 2017
- Green Hotelier Award for Africa and the Middle East - 2015
- Skål International Global Sustainable Tourism Award - Urban Accommodation - 2016
- World Travel Market Africa - Most Responsible Stand Award - 2017
- 5 Star Master Builder Association Certification - 2013
- 4-star hotel accreditation delivered by the Tourism Grading Council of South Africa – 2014/2015
- Certification for the implementation of best practices in Water Conservation and Water Recycling by the City of Cape Town - 2014
- LEED Platinum for New Construction (by the US Green Building Council) – 2014
- Green Star SA Existing Building Performance – 6 Star Certification – 2015
- LEED Platinum for Existing Building Operation and Maintenance - 2015
- Fair Trade Tourism - Certified Business - 2017